Most often your experience with God at church isn’t decided on Sunday… Its decided on Saturday night. Its decided when we choose to stay up until 2:00am watching reruns of Walking Dead. Its decided when we choose to let that argument with our spouse or our parents stay unresolved. Its decided when we choose not to prepare for what is coming tomorrow.
One of the single biggest reasons we don’t take from church all that God intends for us is because we haven’t prepared ourselves to be in the presence of God!
We prepare for the things we value! I have been to a lot of weddings… I have yet to see a bride walk down the isle having forgotten to do her hair!
I remember the night before state soccer finals in high school I had a big dinner, went to bed early, made sure I was hydrated and did everything I could possibly think of to make sure I had prepared myself for that game!
The key to igniting the power church plays in your live is as simple as taking 10 minutes on Saturday night and 10 more minutes on Sunday morning to make sure you are ready for what is to come!
Take 10 minutes Saturday night and…
1. Pray over your week. (What are you thankful for? What sin needs to be confessed? Is there a relationship you need to make right?)
2. Look over the notes from last week. Refresh and re-engage your mind with God’s Word
3. Ask God to prepare your heart for tomorrow!
Take 10 minutes Sunday morning…
1. Get to church 10 minutes earlier. When you roll in 3 minutes late with 2 kids in your arms and haven’t had your coffee yet, you are not exactly setting yourself up for success!
2. Allow yourself a few quite moments with God before worship begins.
3. Have a meaningful conversation with someone at church.
All of these things will dramatically change the impact church has in your life and you will experience God in powerful and fresh ways if we simply take the time and prepare for Sunday mornings like we believe the King was alive and we were going to encounter His presence!